Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What Am I Thinking....

I admire people that have a drive to do something 100%. I try to do things this way but it does not always turn out. I have been thinking about all the work I put into being a better cyclist. I have trained more over the past year than I ever have for anything and I continue to get mixed results. Do I spend all the time I can training? No. Do I do all the right things with my diet to make sure I am getting the most out of what I eat…HELL NO! But I am ok with all of this. I have a lot of things going on in my life that take time. My family, my job and other interest outside of bike racing. The question I am now asking myself, is all this training worth it? Am I having fun? The answer to all of this is YES!




I enjoy the camaraderie that cycling brings. I enjoy the people I race with on Team Lake Effect. I enjoy going to different cities and racing on new and challenging courses. I enjoy getting out and training when I am not crunched for time. It gets a little boring sometimes out there for hours on end riding alone but that will change. I am ready for new challenges. Not that I am getting out of bike racing, I still have to reach that podium! What does all this mean? Well let me tell you what I am doing and maybe you will talk me out of it.



As I travel to all the different races I see youth development teams popping up. There are kids as young as 5 getting on bikes and racing and having fun. Most of these opportunities did not exist when I was growing up and there were no youth development programs for cycling around Warren, Ohio. These children, along with their families come out in large groups to the races. The one thing I notice…They are all having fun. They are constantly on their bikes riding around the venue, playing tag with each other, cheering each other on, having large picnics and just plain downright enjoying the sport of cycling.



Katie and Robert are now at the age that they are ready to start riding more and Robert will probably start to do some junior races next year. (Yikes…More bike expense!)

I have contacted the folks at USA Cycling, the governing body for cycling in the United States, about starting a youth development program in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I have also started to contact other successful programs in the Midwest for guidance on putting such a program together. I am not sure I can pull this off but I am going to give it 100% of the spare time I have trying. If you are in the Fort Wayne area and are reading this I will need help. I will be forming the club with USA Cycling shortly and will be starting a campaign to secure sponsors. This may not work, but I know there are a lot of kids in this area who enjoy the sport and I am going to try to bring them all together.



Wish me luck. I will post updates as they come!

2 comments:

Nicole Borem said...

Sorry Mike, I won't talk you out of it! This is such a wonderful idea and one I would love to do myself someday, but not t this point in my own cycling career. I think you are a prime man to do this and have great support with Nancy. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for any chances and support I can help with this for you. It will be fun to see how it grows- just like the kids.

Barb said...

Such a great idea! If I can help with sending an email along, let me know! :)